Tuesday, April 10, 2007

On the second hand

Ben Franklin is attributed with the saying "time is money", although it was Fredrick Taylor in the early 20th century that contributed most to modern ideas of management and efficiency. The important part, to me, is simply the acknowledgment that mankind really has no control over time aside from the way in which we choose to spend it. I, for one, can spend hours writing a speech for Toastmasters Club or an entry for this blog, but what I realize is, all this is dependent on how other people choose to spend their time (i.e. by giving their attention) that, in the end, justifies (or not) the time I take to write it.
The inverse of all this is my misjudgment of both how much time I really have to spend writing and how much time or attention people are willing to give. In the end, lest the right balance is struck, either I write nothing for you to hear or I spend so much time on it that it throws off the balance on time people can devote their attention to the product of that time.
So, I'm giving myself a challenge to set a strict time limit for which I can prepare a blog entry (Toastmasters actually helps with this because we are given a strict time frame in which to deliver a speech). Hopefully the outcome has more impact, remains concise, and becomes more frequent. Not to mention the added benefit, should I happen gain more satisfaction from these activities, of feeling like I have one up on ol' Father Time afterall.