Monday, May 14, 2007

Before there was rice...

...there was millet. Well, at least to prehistoric northern Chinese. According to wikipedia, thousands of years ago in China, millet - the small, yellow grain - was more common than rice. Well then, maybe it's not surprising to find millet in a Chinese grocery store today, even in central Tokyo. In fact, that's exactly where I bought it.
I finally tried to make a dish using millet last night, and although it turned out nothing like I expected, it was alright. I took a friend's suggestion and made a sauce with veggies, like carrot and onion, and then I added some chunks of chicken to the mix. The millet was a little too saturated, but hopefully with some experimentation, I will get it down to a science. In any case, the left-overs are in my lunch box today :)