Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Day I'd Been Waiting For

On June 30th, 2007, I experienced a life-changing event. I met with Dr. Iguchi who sat me down and calmly opened my file. He pulled out a piece of paper on which my results had been written. Down the right side of the page was a string of zeros.
He looked at me and handed the paper over so I could scrutinize it closely as he spoke.
"Well, as you can see, aside from the last item, you showed absolutely no signs of a reaction."

I read over the results and sure enough, every item showed a zero, except for the last one which was for animal dander. Ah, not surprising that I was still allergic to that.
What was surprising was that I am no longer allergic to egg whites. Since the age of about three, egg whites have been my archenemy. Now that would change.

"Well doctor, I must say, this is going to be a little change in my life. Thank you for the excellent results!"
Dr. Iguchi said he was happy to be of assistance for such an event and congratulated me. I left the office a new man.

I didn't eat an egg right away. In fact, I waited until the following Tuesday. That evening, J made dinner and she prepared a dish with tomato and scrambled egg with rice. We took a few commemorative photos and then picked up our forks and dug in.

So now that I can eat eggs without any worry, I have been thinking of the omelet I'm going to eat at the Pancake House back home this summer. I used to make omelets for people, or french toast, and think, "Hmm, looks pretty good," but I was never able to eat it myself. Looking forward to it now.

I can't say eggs are my favorite dish now. Actually, I'm just getting used to their flavor. Eggs seem to take on different flavors depending on how you eat them - which I had figured would be true before, but am now experiencing it first hand. So little by little I'm trying different dishes when the opportunity presents itself. The day I'd been waiting for has finally come!