Thursday, September 13, 2007

Environmental issues in your backyard

After my recent trip to Chicago, I was reading up a bit more on the new Chicago Spire that is to be constructed in the near future in the vicinity of Navy Pier. There are actually two plots of land there, apparently; the other being old DuSable Park. Unfortunately quite a lot of land contamination was discovered at the park site, so - from my understanding - it seems that they switched the locations for the Spire and the park. Apparently a thick layer of concrete will protect from the radioactive substance that contaminates the soil, although I'm not so sure I'd want to buy a condominium built there nor let my kids play at the park next door.
In any case, this is a rather uninformed opinion, although I'm keen to look into it a bit more in my free time. Nonetheless, this did lead me to find an interesting collection of Chicago environmental issues from the Reader, which you can find here: http://www.chicagoreader.com/greenchicago/

Another site I frequent recently had a feature on various people's opinion on just what the heck we should actually do about global warming: HERE