Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Turkish delight

Monday was the Autumn Equinox and the Japanese have determined that to be a holiday. Basically, they will use any excuse they can to make a Monday a holiday and get a three-day weekend on account of the fact that they tend to avoid long holidays, instead taking multiple short-holidays. I could pontificate on the reasons for that, possibly, in another post.
Nonetheless, J and I took it easy on Monday and in the evening decided to go into town and try out a Turkish restaurant I had discovered a few months ago. At that time I had been listening to the Turkish pop musician Tarkan quite a bit and that got the idea of looking for Turkish cuisine into my head.
We had a great meal, starting off with a plate of goat cheese and vegetables, and then an esme meze, which is a slightly spicy dip we ate with ekmek (turkish bread). We also had a tomato soup with some cheese melted in it and a garbanzo bean soup and a salad. The main dish was the ever-famous doner kabab lamb meat, with which we ordered some plain rice, or sade pilav. All the food was delicious.

Now the next thing on my list is to try and find a Swedish restaurant in Tokyo. Hopefully I can find one other than the Ikea food stands to get some köttbullar!