Saturday, December 29, 2007

Even-numbered oddity

I recently read on tightwad.com what I thought sounded like a good idea for eating out. In Japan, the custom of tipping is absolutely non-existent. This means that people in these industries are paid a higher wage (instead of the "special wage" in the US) and don't rely on tips. This means that when I go to the U.S., I am often at a loss as how to tip.
I don't think this suggestion was made to simply be cheap and not give someone the tip they deserve. However, tipping can get a little out of hand and plays on your emotions, especially if you are with other people.

The suggestion is this:

The most creative way to reduce the cost of tipping is to tip with unusual money. In my case, I went to the bank and got a stack of two dollar bills, which are not circulated anymore, but are legal currency and still available. Many people collect these bills and see them as a sign of good luck to receive them. In addition, if you are concerned about appearances, friends or associates that may be watching will be impressed instead of disappointed.

In fact, when I used to tutor a young Japanese student in English, I would be paid in cash after each lesson. After one lesson, her mother asked if I minded that one of the bills was a 2000 yen note. The 2000 yen bill was issued to commemorate the millennium, but it didn't prove popular with consumers. Just like the $2 bill, they are readily available at banks, but still a rarity. I said I was happy to get a 2000 yen bill, and I was more apt to save it instead of spend it so told her how happy I was to receive it. From that point on, she always paid with 2000 yen bills, and I always saved them. After a year, I had quite a stack of cash!
So, from personal experience, I'd say the above suggestion is excellent. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't tip well, but sometimes you can leave an appropriate amount plus a little encouragement.