Thursday, May 08, 2008

Sushi with a conscience

Since sushi is on the eatery radar and seems to be a healthy choice, I thought this bit on Fresh Air (April 21, 2008) was an interesting interview with Tim Fitzgerald from the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) on what selections on a sushi menu are eco-best (list HERE), eco-ok and eco-worst. Living in Tokyo, I am privy to some of the best sushi in the world for sure, and I certainly take advantage of it. Recently J and I went to the sushi restaurant near our place and ordered about a dozen plates. One of our choices was indeed on the eco-best list and I'd have to say it was one of the best ones we ordered. Believe it or not, sardine sushi--or, in Japanese, iwashi. Sardines enjoyed quite a bit of popularity in Japan recently, so much so that it would sell out at some seafood restaurants. But now that the excitement has died down, we were easily able to get iwashi served to us. So I'm glad to hear that it's not only quite good, but also on the EDF's A-list.
Anyway, as a little add-on here, I'm linking to a sushi glossary to aid if you should need it in ordering at your local sushi bar.