Sunday, June 15, 2008

12 Years later

In 1996 I went to India, and there I met a meditation teacher that had a profound effect on me. In fact, 'Godwin' as we knew him, was well liked by my classmates as well. We had the opportunity to study with him for about 3 weeks, and I still remember that time vividly.
It was sad to hear that later, in 2000, he passed away. Acarya Godwin Samararatne was by no means an old man, but he did live life to its fullest I believe, and touched more lives than most of us could hope to.
Godwin was not a monk or priest or anything of the sort. He was a "layman" in his trade, which means he was a regular householder like you or I. The time I spent with him he proved to be a down-to-earth, friendly and humble man. My classmates and I would often relish the times we sat on the front porch of his residence in India after dinner and chat. He was always open to share his time in this way.
I recently found this website dedicated to Godwin and his teachings, so I thought I would provide it here on my blog.

godwin 1

Godwin's page