Tuesday, August 12, 2008

After the games

I'm currently planning a trip to China once the games are over in Beijing. I still have a visa to enter the country from last year which is valid until the end of October, so I'm taking advantage of that.
Recently, J and I watched a documentary by Discovery on the Great Wall of China. I've been fascinated by Chinese history since university and the idea of actually going to the places I've read about is a real thrill. Our plans are to go first to Beijing where J has some friends that have offered to show us around, lend us bicycles and even a vacant apartment to use while there. We'll stay for a few days and I hope to go to the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, not to mention the urban planning museum I read about recently on James Fallows blog. And of course we'll visit the Olympic facility sites and get some commemorative pictures, no doubt, where I'll be sure to wear my Beijing 2008 cap I bought last year.
After Beijing we are planning to head over to Xian where the Qin Dynasty tomb featuring all the terracotta statues of soldiers, each unique and possibly fashioned after a real person, are well-known as a tourist attraction. There is also a history museum there that got rave reviews by our friend Yang who works as a museum researcher/planner.


Finally, we'll head up to Dalian to meet family, relax and eat lots of good food--especially the fresh seafood they've got. I am also considering having more clothes tailored while there since I've been quite happy with the results so far, and that has only been through mailing my sizes and pictures to the tailor before. This time, if I can get measured in person and pick the fabrics myself, I think I'll get some really cool shirts and slacks.

Lastly, about a month ago, amongst all the pre-game rioting in Lhasa, I could hardly turn on the tv or go downtown without seeing someone in a Free Tibet t-shirt or holding up a flag. J and I talked about it a bit and I realized we had very different views of the issue. Naturally, she had been fed the Chinese historical view and has had little else to go on (nor the interest) since she was much younger. This made me realize that it was not an issue of her being unsympathetic to the issue, but that we had very different access to information. Myself, and I believe most of the Western world, is hearing the side of the story represented by political liberalism and the Dalai Lama (whom I respect), and thus feel the issue is a cut and dry case of oppression. Well, 800+ years of history is hardly ever cut and dry, so I decided to read an account of Tibetean history that would give a bit of insight into the whole issue. This is a pretty fair account of leaders and interaction between the two cultures, not to mention the role of England during their East Indian foray, that says a lot about what the relationship between the Tibetean Autonomous Region and the PRC really is. It hasn't made me think differently from before, as my core belief is that Tibet does deserve more recognition in their role--or lack thereof--in forming policy for development in line with their own distinctive culture. At the same time, the book speaks to reasons why China would claim Tibet as part of their nation and not, say, a sovereign nation that can stand completely on its own. Anyone with an interest in seeing the issue from a historical point of view before judging the current day reality should certainly consider giving the book a read. Luckily, since it's an online e-book, I thought I'd share it here:
The Snow Lion and the Dragon