Friday, February 11, 2011

Bath House Attendant

I was thinking today, while at the bath house again, that there are just too many things in an average day here that I would never see or experience anywhere else. For example, I wrote before about the bath house attendant that offers patrons a "cuo hui" body rub. Today, as I was in the shower, he had finished with one patron and decided to light up a cigarette. I don't think I've ever been in the shower with someone smoking before.
Then, as I was leaving the shower room, I looked over to the other side of the room where there was a door open to another area. Inside was a pile of garbage. There is a restaurant in the same building as the bath, so maybe it was a separate entrance to the restaurant's dumping area? That's the only explanation I could think of.
As I was changing after my shower, the attendant went into the break room, which is located next to the changing room. A few minutes later he came out wearing pajamas. Another patron who had gotten half dressed and then decided to smoke a cigarette in his underwear asked the attendant, "Ji dian ma?/What time is it?", and he answered "7 dian". I glanced inside the break room and saw that there were blankets on the sofa in there. I finished changing, put on my coat, and went out to wait for J in the sitting area next to the front desk.
As I sat on a long bench, in front of me on the floor was a massive rice cooker. Steam was billowing out of it, and every time someone would come in or out of the building, letting in cool air, the steam would seem to fill the whole room, along with the smell of freshly cooked rice.
Like I said, there are too many things like this in any given day.