Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cats and Dogs

There are plenty of stray cats in Japan, although I hardly ever saw a
stray dog. In the States, stray animals are usually picked up by the
pound, and attempts are made at adoption. In China, however, I see
plenty of stray cats and dogs; they are not overrunning the streets, but
they're ubiquitous enough for me to notice. Today on my way to school I
saw, possibly for the first time "live" (i.e. not in a cartoon), a cat
being chased by a dog. The dog was actually smaller than the cat, and
the whole ordeal looked somewhat playful. But two other dogs, seeing
their comrade making his case against the feline, decided to get in on
the action. So picture, if you will, a nimble cat high-tailing it around
a corner followed by a pint-sized mutt and two scruffy friends.