Tuesday, February 22, 2011

China's Answer to Dunkin' Donuts

For breakfast today we had doufu nao and sweet bread, which J said is sort of an old standby Chinese breakfast. Cubes of bean curd are mixed in a soy sauce-based soup thickened with potato starch and flavored with different fragrant spices. The exact spices used depend on the shop that makes it, and it's a closely kept secret--a secret sauce, if you will. Nevertheless, no doubt the sauce had some nira (leeks) since I could see some of the herbs from the leek mixed in as well.
The sweat bread is sort of a long, fluffy, French cruller; it's just sweet enough to balance out the slightly salty, and just a tad spicy doufu nao. I followed J's lead and took a spoonful of the soup, then bit off a piece of sweet bread. Before trying it, I didn't know what to expect and was a bit hesitant; however, after the first bite, I nearly didn't stop until it was all gone. And then I had seconds.