Sunday, February 20, 2011

Haircut

After nearly a month, I decided it was time for another haircut. I've
had my haircut in Brazil, Ethiopia, Thailand, Japan, of course the U.S.,
and now China. I figured that if a hairdresser in Addis Ababa can cut my
hair pretty well, a hip and savvy Chinese salon worker would have no
problem. And for less than $3 for a hair cut, I figured I'd give it a
shot (btw, that's the same as it cost in Ethiopia, whereas Brazil was
about $10, and Japan runs between $15 to $50 depending on where you go
of course).
We went to a shopping center that had three different hair salons right
across from each other to choose from. The first place we went to said
there was a 20 minute wait, so instead we went to the place next door,
which said they could take us right away.
The salon had a fair mix of men and women getting their hair cut or
colored. My hairdresser commented how amazing it was that my hair color
was natural, and said people would have to go through hours of bleaching
and coloring to even come close. J was translating for me, and she
mentioned that people in the States used to tell her that her jet-black
hair was so amazing. Sort of a grass is greener thing, yes.
The last thing I'll mention was his hair drying technique, which I'd
never experienced before. The cut turned out pretty good, and although
we told him I wouldn't need any wax or anything (we were just headed
home afterward) he gave my hair some lift by using the back end of the
dryer to suck the hair up (like a 'Flowbee', I think they were called;
the old haircut vacuum attachment).
Luckily the cut turned out pretty good. There's generally no tipping in
China, so we just thanked the staff, gathered our things and we were
off. But before heading home, we took a once around the shops with my
new do, just for good measure.