Monday, February 05, 2007

Back to the books

Well, after a few years of graduate school, I'm back to the "workforce". For a few months I was getting to know Tokyo pretty well via a 50cc scooter, making deliveries mostly to international finance groups in Otemachi. During those mornings, I would greet the guys as they stumbled out of their office or away from their desk, and I would be pretty happy that I was outside for most of the day, not stuck in some office building. For three years I sat at my desk at grad school tapping away at my computer or jotting down notes in a classroom or pulling out my hair before an exam.

Now, as of this month, I'm back to my deskwork, and the subject matter of my job is largely similar to what I was studying in grad school, at least a good deal of it. In the first two days I read a report on international geospatial information standards, a presentation on landslide disasters in Sri Lanka and meeting minutes from a Japan tour by Thai officials. A good portion of my job requires me to research a lot of different topics, and if I have a little extra gumption, I'll do a quick wiki search on a few related topics that catch my eye. In a sense, I feel like I'll learn more on the job than I ever did in grad school.

So my Otemachi delivery days seem to be over. Although it was fun while it lasted, I guess it's back to the books.