Sunday, February 04, 2007

Entrepreneural Survival Skills

I came home in the afternoon to find a post card in my mailbox that I had addressed myself. I had written this about a month previously at the Tokyo Immigration Office, and the arrival of this post card meant that my visa application had been processed.

The following day, after my part-time job, I borrowed a 50cc delivery scooter from work and drove over to the immigration office. The post card stipulated that I bring my diploma with me to prove my previous status as a student, and also to confirm my graduation date.

The problem arose, as I expected, when they saw that I had graduated the previous Spring. Under most circumstances, the application for visa status change is made while one is still enrolled in school, but in my case I had had another 18 months left on my visa, so I remained in Japan after graduation (a bit of a loop-hole I took advantage of). But now the loop-hole was looking like it might snag me, as the immigration official sneered at my application. She called over a senior official that took over my case, and after some discussion and making me wait for 15 minutes with a sweaty number ticket in my hand, he told me I would be able to receive my new work visa. But before I could receive the final documentation in my passport, I needed to buy a stamp from the convenience store on the first floor for JPY4,000 (about $35). I thanked them profusely and made my way to the convenience store.

(*I suppose the stipulation that the stamp be bought in a separate place is to prevent any handling of money, and probably has to do with avoiding attempts at bribery. Hence, the convenience store located on the first floor of Immigration or nearby, where applicants must buy stamps and exchange them for the proper documents which are placed inside one's passport. This is, I suppose, a fine example of red tape.)

Upon reaching the stamp counter, I dug through my wallet and pockets to find I had no more than 3,980 yen. I was told I couldn't use a credit card and there was no bank in sight. I thought maybe I could take the scooter to a bank nearby, but it was already 4:30 and Immigration would be closing very soon. The only choice I had was to take part in one of the oldest professions known to mankind: Entrepreneurialism.

I told the cashier I'd be right back, went to the front of the store and started scanning the halls. The only thing I had of value that I would be willing to part with was a pen that I had gotten as a promotional gift from an online shop. It had ink in four colors and seemed like it would be worth at least 20 yen, so I held that up and stopped a guy wearing a tie.

"Excuse me sir," I spoke in the most polite Japanese I could muster, "but I am 20 yen short. You see, I need to buy a stamp for my visa change, and I just need 20 yen more. Now I have this pen, you see, and I wonder if you'd like to have it if you could just give me 20 yen!!"

It was the best pitch I had, and luckily the guy went for it. Turned out he was an immigration official himself and was just down at the convenience store for a quick snack. "Here you go. You can keep the pen though, I have lots at my desk," he said.

Not wanting to just take the money and run, I offered again, "Well, this one does have four colors!!" Again he declined my offer and decided he'd feel better to just make it the handout that it was. I thanked him again and took myself, my 3,980 + 20 yen, and my pen and went back to the cashier. A moment later I was running up the steps with my stamp, and 10 minutes later I was the proud recipient of a one-year working visa, complete with re-entry permit.

Well, obviously I was pretty happy with myself for getting the 20 yen, but when I arrived home, I went through my application papers from a month before, and noticed there, amongst various forms, was a 4,000 yen stamp I'd bought last time I was at Immigration to be used on this occasion. Doh!!