Friday, March 02, 2007

PC blues

Computers: can't work with 'em, can't work without 'em

At some point last Thursday, my computer at work developed serious sloth-like behavior. For every new operation, it seemed as if my computer was pulled over for drunk driving and deemed unable to walk a straight line. My clicks and input were met with complete non-sequitur.

After saving the documents on a CD and defraging the C drive, there was no change. I tried a few other things but none of it seemed to work so I brought the matter up with my section manager. As it turns out, the computer has been on lease for 4 years and gone through at least a few users in that time. It also turns out that the lease was up a few months ago.
So I filed for a new lease, which they estimate will take 2 weeks, and in the meantime I'm using 2 laptops; a new one for creating and editing files on MS Office, and the old one to check my company mail account.

It seems I can't do my job without a computer, but now the computer has become an obstacle to get my work done. Ah, my estranged companion.